At Boronia K-12 College, we endeavour to provide an inclusive and positive learning environment for all our students.
Student Wellbeing at Boronia K-12 refers to the promotion and maintenance of effective learning, positive mental health, good physical health as well as the social wellbeing of students within our care. The College is committed to a culture that nurtures and encourages the ongoing development of resilient, responsible, respectful and happy individuals who are actively connected to their school and to the wider community.
We have developed a formalised student wellbeing structure which includes a dedicated student wellbeing team. The student wellbeing team is led by the Assistant Principal for Wellbeing, Adrienne Tanner.
As a college, we offer a wide range of Wellbeing supports and personnel:
- We have a full time Counsellor (Nicole Costa) and Youth Worker (James Latu)
- We are one of a select few schools to be part of the GP in schools program.
- We have access to onsite therapeutic counselling through Yarra Valley psychology.
- We are able to offer free dental checks to all interested students through the Victorian Schools Dental service.
- We have regular access to a social worker, speech pathologist, educational psychologist and occupational therapist through the Department of Education.
- We have an adolescent health nurse and primary health nurse based at our school and available to assist us and work within our health curriculum.
Child Safe Standards
The Child Safe Standards are compulsory minimum standards for all Victorian early childhood services and schools, to ensure they are well prepared to protect children from abuse and neglect.
We entered a 3-year partnership with Adam Voigt and Real Schools. Adam is working with us over to introduce Restorative Practices to our staff and entire school community. To get a better idea of what Real Schools is and the work they have been doing and will continue to do with us over the next 2 years, visit the Real Schools website or watch a short video of Adam explaining his work.
From our learning with Adam, we have adopted a restorative practices approach through our college. For those of you not familiar with this, it is widely understood that the most profound learning occurs where there is a healthy relationship between teacher and student.
Restorative practises assists teachers, students and parents to build, maintain, and restore relationships. Restorative Practises helps build capacity to enable students to self-regulate behaviour and contribute to the improvement of learning outcomes.
Useful links to wellbeing information for parents:
ASD and Asperger’s – Support
An On-line cognitive behavior therapy program for anxious children and adolescents and their parents (13 week program).
A cognitive behavior therapy website teaches people to use ways of thinking which help prevent depression.
Alcohol & Drug Misuse
Please contact the relevant Sub-school Coordinator or the Wellbeing Team at Boronia K-12 College if you have any questions or concerns about your child’s wellbeing.